Announced last week, the Russia TOP50 lists the fastest computers in Russia ranked according to Linpack benchmark results. This list provides an important tool for tracking usage trends in high-performance computing in Russia.
Mellanox 40Gb/s InfiniBand adapters and switches enable the fastest supercomputer on the Russian Top50 Supercomputer list with peak performance of 414 teraflops. More importantly, it is clear that InfiniBand is dominating the list as the most used interconnect solution, connecting 37 systems, including the top three systems and seven of the Top10. According to the Linpack benchmark, InfiniBand’s high system efficiency and utilization allow users to maximize their return-on-investment for their high-performance computing server and storage infrastructure by demonstrating up to 92 percent efficiency. Nearly three quarters of the list, represented by leading research laboratories, universities, industrial companies and banks in Russia, rely on industry-leading InfiniBand solutions to provide the highest in bandwidth, efficiency, scalability, and application performance.
Highlights of InfiniBand usage on the April 2009 Russia TOP50 list include:
- Mellanox InfiniBand connects 74 percent of the Top50 list, including seven of the Top10 most prestigious positions (#1, #2, #3, #6, #8, #9 and #10)
- Mellanox InfiniBand provides world-leading system utilization, up to 92 percent efficiency as measured by the Linpack benchmark
- The list showed a sharp increase in the aggregated performance – the total peak performance of the list exceeded 1PFlops to reach 1152.9TFlops, an increase of 120 percent compared to the September 2009 list – highlighting the increasing demand for higher performance
- Ethernet connects only 14 percent of the list (seven systems); and there were no 10GigE clusters
- Proprietary clustering interconnects declined 40 percent to connect only three systems on the list
I look forward to seeing the results of the Top500 in June at the International Supercomputing Conference. I will be attending the conference, and I look forward to seeing all of our HPC friends in Germany.
Sr. Director of Marketing Communications