Breakthrough Performance, Scaling, Reliability and Efficiency
Mellanox 56Gb/s InfiniBand-based server adapters and switches provide fault-tolerant and unified connectivity between database servers and storage, allowing for very high efficiency of CPU and storage capacity usage. The result is getting significant higher level of performance and at less hardware cost. In fact, all lead database providers already provide Scale-Out products over Mellanox RDMA based interconnect solutions:
- Starting from 2008, Mellanox InfiniBand has been prominently featured in Larry Ellison's keynote speech at Oracle OpenWorld Conferences regarding the Oracle Exadata database appliance.
- IBM's DB2 pureScale has been certified to run over Mellanox InfiniBand and RoCE connectivity solutions.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 certified to run over InfiniBand and RoCE and their Parallel Data Warehouse (PDW) appliance use FDR 56Gb/s InfiniBand as the unified interconnect.
- Teradata big data analytics appliance and several Enterprise Data Warehouse appliance, all connected by Mellanox InfiniBand end-to-end solutions.
Oracle Exadata - 10X the Performance at 50% Hardware Cost
Using Mellanox QDR 40Gb/s InfiniBand Oracle RAC query throughput performance can reach 50Gb/s.
Mellanox QDR 40Gb/s InfiniBand-based server adapters and switches provide fault-tolerant and unified connectivity between clustered database servers and native InfiniBand storage, allowing for very high efficiency of CPU and storage capacity usage. The result is 50% less hardware cost to achieve the same level of performance.
The InfiniBand network within an Oracle Database Machine and Exadata II is a whopping 880Gb/s, and the high-performance I/O pipe to the Exadata storage array delivers 21GB/s of disk bandwidth, 50GB/s of flash cache bandwidth and 1 million IOPs.
The Mellanox InfiniBand network allows the Oracle Database Machine and Exadata systems to scale to 8 racks of servers and hundreds of storage servers by just adding wires - allowing servicing of multi-petabyte databases at breakneck speeds and a fully fault tolerant and redundant environment.
For more Information please read:
- Mellanox interconnect solutions at OOW'12
- Oracle 11g RAC over QDR 40Gb/s InfiniBand
- Oracle Exadata database machine
IBM DB2 pureScale - Keeping Up with Today Business Demand
Today, response times for banking transactions are measured in seconds. To remain competitive in such an environment, enterprises need a continuously available, scalable, and high-performance infrastructure that can accommodate not only growth over time, but also peaks in activity and demand. With its ease and transparency of system and application scaling, the clustering technology of IBM DB2 is designed for these environments. DB2 provides the scale-out capabilities that enable enterprises to meet a full spectrum of processing requirements.
One of the key elements of a DB2 server cluster is the high-speed fabric interconnect between the DB2 members and the central DB2 pureScale component, the DB2 Cluster Caching Facility (CF). Mellanox connectivity solutions enable DB2 pureScale to run at the highest performance and efficiency and achieve extreme scalability as demand grows.
For more information please read:
- SAP over DB2 pureScale
- DB2 pureScale over Mellanox Interconnect Solutions
- Virtualize the IBM DB2 pureScale over RoCE
Microsoft SQL Server 2012 - Analyze 1,000 Terabytes of data in 1 second!
There has never been a more exciting time in the world of data which is fundamentally transforming the industry. Enterprises that use data and business analytics to drive decision-making are more productive and deliver higher return on equity than those that do not.
As such, the modern solutions must also support non-traditional data sources like big data. In order to help organizations successfully transition to the modern world of data, Microsoft introduced SQL Server 2012 Parallel Data Warehouse (PDW) appliance - the next version of the scale-out massively parallel processing (MPP) data warehouse appliance that includes a breakthrough data processing engine that enables query across Hadoop and relational database at the same time.
The PDW appliance runs Microsoft SQL 2012 Built over commodity servers and Mellanox 56Gb/s FDR InfiniBand solution as the unified interconnect between servers and storage and enables access to storage over the Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA) mechanism. It results in increased speed, scalability, requires fewer computing resources and less IT efforts. Benchmarks shows that compared to the previous generation, the new PDW appliance completes queries 50 times faster and doubles the rate of data loading speed. However the new performance record requires 50% less hardware along with 50% reduction in energy consumption.
For more information please read:
- Solution Brief: Analyze 1,000 Terabytes of Data in 1 Second!
- SQL Server 2012 Parallel Data Warehouse Solution Brief
- Solution Brief: Data Warehousing and Online Transaction Processing
- Mellanox InfiniBand Solutions Accelerate Oracle's Data Center and Cloud Solutions (OOW'12)
- SAP® Application with DB2 pureScale Feature
- SMB Advanced Networking for Fault Tolerance and Performance
- Oracle Case Study
- Oracle Exadata Overview Presentation
- IBM, Intel Post Top Results for SAP Transaction Banking