Started in 1993, the TOP500 lists the fastest computers used today, ranked according to Linpack benchmark results. Published twice a year, the TOP500 list provides an important tool for tracking usage trends in high-performance computing. The 44th TOP500 List was released during the SC'14 conference.
TOP500 44th List Highlights
The number of InfiniBand-based supercomputers increased 8.7 percent year-over-year to 225, representing 45 percent of the TOP500. Mellanox InfiniBand is the interconnect of choice for Petascale computing Petaflop capable systems, connecting 24 Petascale-performance systems on the list. Overall, the number of Mellanox FDR InfiniBand connected systems grew 1.8X year-over-year connecting 141 systems, showing the increased demand for higher performance, scalability and efficiency.
Mellanox Connect-IB and ConnectX-3 FDR 56Gb/s InfiniBand adapters and SwitchX-2-based switch systems optimize server and storage performance and provide the scalable, low-latency, and power-efficient interconnect for the world’s fastest supercomputers. The advanced offloads and accelerations within Mellanox FDR 56Gb/s InfiniBand solutions enable the most performance-efficient systems on the TOP500 list with a record 99.8 percent system efficiency.
Highlights of InfiniBand and Mellanox usage on the November 2014 TOP500 list include:
- FDR InfiniBand is the fastest growing interconnect technology on the TOP500 with 141 systems, a 1.8X increase in the number of systems versus the November 2013 TOP500 list.
- InfiniBand is the most used interconnect for Petascale-performance systems with 24 systems.
- Mellanox FDR InfiniBand provides the highest system utilization on the TOP500, achieving 99.8 percent system utilization.
- InfiniBand enables 24 out of the 25 most efficient systems, and the top 17 most efficient systems.
- InfiniBand accelerates 225 systems in the TOP500, 45 percent of the list.
- InfiniBand is the most used interconnect in the TOP100 with 48 percent, in the TOP200 with 51.5 percent, in the TOP300 with 50.7 percent and in the TOP400 systems with 49 percent.
- InfiniBand systems account for 2.6X the performance of Ethernet systems.
- InfiniBand connects 1.5X the number of Cray based systems in the TOP100, 5X in TOP500.
- Clusters continue to be the dominant system architecture with 86 percent of the TOP500 list.
- Mellanox end-to-end InfiniBand scalable HPC solutions accelerate 80 percent of the accelerator-based systems.
- Mellanox InfiniBand interconnect solutions present in the TOP500 are used by a diverse list of applications from large-scale, high-performance computing to commercial, technical computing, cloud computing, Web 2.0, and enterprise data centers.