Started in 1993, the TOP500 lists the fastest computers used today, ranked according to Linpack benchmark results. Published twice a year, the TOP500 list provides an important tool for tracking usage trends in high-performance computing. The 42nd TOP500 List was released during the SC'13 conference.
TOP500 42nd List Highlights
The number of InfiniBand-based supercomputers increased to 207, representing 41.4 percent of the TOP500. The number of the TOP500's Petascale-capable systems connected with Mellanox FDR InfiniBand grew 3X from November 2012 to November 2013. Overall, the number of Mellanox FDR InfiniBand connected systems grew 1.8X from November 2012 to November 2013, showing the increasing demand for higher performance, scalability and efficiency.
Mellanox Connect-IB and ConnectX InfiniBand adapters and SwitchX-based switch systems optimize server and storage performance and provide the scalable, low-latency, and power-efficient interconnect for the world's fastest supercomputers, connecting nearly 48 percent (19 systems) of all Petascale-based systems (40 systems), more than 2X higher than the competition.
The advanced offloads and accelerations within Mellanox InfiniBand solutions enable the most performance-efficient systems on the TOP500 list with more than 97 percent system and CPU efficiency.
Highlights of InfiniBand and Mellanox usage on the November 2013 TOP500 list include:
- FDR InfiniBand is the fastest growing interconnect technology on the TOP500 with a 1.8X increase in the number of systems versus the November 2012 TOP500 list.
- InfiniBand connects 48 percent of the world’s most powerful Petaflop systems on the list.
- Mellanox InfiniBand provides the highest system utilization on the TOP500, achieving 97 percent system utilization.
- Mellanox FDR InfiniBand enables the most efficient systems in the TOP200
- InfiniBand accelerates 207 systems in the TOP500, 41.4 percent of the list.
- InfiniBand is the most used interconnect in the TOP100 with 48 percent, in the TOP200 with 48.5 percent, in the TOP300 with 44 percent and in the TOP400 systems with 42.5 percent.
- InfiniBand systems account for 2X the performance of Ethernet systems.
- InfiniBand connects 4X the number of Cray-based systems in the TOP100, and 6.5X in TOP500 systems.
- Clusters continue to be the dominant system architecture with 85 percent of the TOP500 list.
- Mellanox end-to-end InfiniBand scalable HPC solutions accelerate 80.7 percent of the accelerator-based systems.
- Mellanox InfiniBand interconnect solutions present in the TOP500 are used by a diverse list of applications from large-scale, high-performance computing to commercial, technical computing, cloud computing, Web 2.0, and enterprise data centers.