Started in 1993, the TOP500 TOP500 lists the fastest computers used today, ranked according to Linpack benchmark results. Published twice a year, the TOP500 list provides an important tool for tracking usage trends in high-performance computing. The 52nd TOP500 List was released during the November Supercomputing’18 conference.
TOP500 52nd List Highlights
Mellanox connects 53 percent of overall TOP500 platforms or 265 systems, including both InfiniBand and Ethernet, compared to 192 systems in Nov’17, representing 38 percent increase in twelve months.
InfiniBand accelerates nearly 55 percent of the total HPC systems on the list and is the most used high-speed interconnect for the TOP500 systems.
Highlights of InfiniBand and Mellanox usage on the November 2018 TOP500 list:
- Mellanox connects 53% of overall TOP500 platforms or 265 systems (InfiniBand and Ethernet), demonstrating 38% Growth in 12 months (Nov’17-Nov’18)
- InfiniBand accelerates the fastest HPC and AI supercomputer in the world – Oak Ridge National Laboratory ‘Summit’ system
- InfiniBand accelerates the top 3 supercomputers in the world - #1 (USA), #2 (USA), #3 (China)
- InfiniBand connects 135 supercomputers, or nearly 55% of overall HPC systems on the TOP500 list
- InfiniBand connects nearly 3X the number of new systems (2018) on the list versus Omnipath, and 7.5X systems versus Cray’s proprietary network
- InfiniBand is the most used high-speed interconnect for the TOP500 systems
- Mellanox connects 130 Ethernet systems (25 Gigabit and faster), or 51% of total Ethernet systems
- The TOP500 list has evolved to include both HPC and cloud / hyperscale (non-HPC) platforms
- Nearly half of the platforms on the TOP500 list can be categorized as non-HPC application platforms (mostly Ethernet-based)
- InfiniBand is the interconnect of choice for HPC and AI infrastructures
- Mellanox Ethernet is the interconnect of choice for cloud and hyperscale platform