Ethernet Video Fabric (EVF) —
IP-based video for Next Level Performance In M&E
For live broadcasting, content distribution and post production alike, Mellanox’s leading IP-based technologies enrich the video experience and bring the audience and content closer together. The move from HD to 4K/UHD, 8K & HDR not only shows the need for absolute bandwidth, but also shows the inability of the current proprietary technology (SDI) & traditional Fibre Channel storage to deliver. Driven by their need to have the underlying hardware innovate at their speed, the media & entertainment industry is now transitioning to a converged Ethernet fabric for both their application and the storage, an open standard that has been powering the datacenters for decades. Mellanox empowers our customers to create, process and deliver contents quickly with the next-gen IP networking.
Techie's Guide To:
Ultra-High Definition IP Video Processing
Multi-media and production companies are dealing with an explosion of high-definition content. Download this Techie’s Guide to help you understand, evaluate, and choose the right network infrastructure for IP video processing.
In this Techie’s Guide you’ll learn:
- How an Ethernet Video Fabric can increase productivity and improve ROI
- How IP can support 4K and 8K concurrently for file access ingest, edit, and rendering
- Best practices for transporting video, audio, and ancillary traffic over IP networks
- How packet pacing ensures smooth delivery and limits congestion at speeds up to 100G
- How to reduce technology “lock-in” risk with open standards-based IP protocol
Mellanox Rivermax Video Streaming Library for Media and Entertainment, Smart Cities and Content Delivery Networks (CDNs)
Rivermax implements an optimized software library API for media streaming applications. Rivermax runs on Mellanox ConnectX®-5, or higher, network adapters and makes use of ConnectX dedicated hardware streaming accelerations. Rivermax enables the use of common off-the-shelf (COTS) servers for HD to Ultra HD flows. Rivermax combined with the use of world-leading Mellanox ConnectX-5, or higher, network adapters offers a unique IP-based solution that enables compliance with SMPTE 2110-21, while reducing CPU utilization for video data streaming and achieving highest throughput.
- SMPTE 2110-21 (Narrow) compliance with NIC packet pacing even at 100GbE
- Single Xeon core receives or sends 64 HD streams
- Performance scales linearly
- SMPTE ST 2022-6 Transport, 2110-30 Audio, and 2110-40 Ancillary for live production
- Offloads application to deal with frames/lines level
- Cloud ready
- Easy integration with PTP stack
- Supports Linux and Windows
- Simple straight forward API to meet the streaming application needs
Mellanox BlueField IPU-based product family unlocks unprecedented performance, scalability, and infrastructure efficiency for a wide range of cloud and data-center applications.
Leveraging the BlueField platform, Mellanox is partnered with innovative technology vendors to deliver best-of-breed solutions including enterprise NVMe storage, zero-trust security and industrial IoT, among others.
Key Partner Features
- Consistent and predictable performance – BlueField delivers unmatched performance in Ethernet and InfiniBand network environments
- Scalable, future-proof design – BlueField offers a broad coverage of configurations best suited for the most demanding workloads
- Innovative and efficient – BlueField enables next-generation IoT and edge computing platforms while reducing total cost of ownership
ConnectX®-5 Ethernet adapters
Provide the most flexible interconnect solution for IP-based broadcast and video streaming applications at speeds of 10/25 and 40/50/100Gbps. Broadcasting applications running over IP transport can achieve the highest efficiency and application density with the hardware-based stateless offloads and flow steering engines. These advanced offloads reduce CPU overhead for packet-processing and lowest latency. Mellanox ConnectX-5 enables packet pacing together with Rivermax software for SMPTE ST 2110-21 compliance and to prevent network congestion.
- Up to 100Gb/s Ethernet per port
- 10/25/40/50/56/100Gb/s speeds
- Single and dual-port options available
- Hardware packet pacing for SMPTE ST 2110-21 compliance (Requires Rivermax software)
- Erasure Coding offload
- T10-DIF Signature Handover
- CPU offloading of transport operations
- Application offloading
- Hardware offloads for NVGRE and VXLAN encapsulated traffic
- End-to-end QoS and congestion control
- Hardware-based I/O virtualization
Mellanox SN2010 – Best Performance Switch for Media and Entertainment applications
Mellanox Spectrum open switches deliver the industry’s highest performance and lowest latency to support throughput required for all video requirements including 4K, 8K, HFR and HDR. With flexible switch buffers and zero-packet loss they provide predictable network performance. Consistent and very low port-to-port latency and jitter with QoS & DSCP features ensure an ultimate experience whether its live streaming or post production studios.
Scalable layer-2 and layer-3 cloud designs
- High density wire speed 1/10/25/50/100/200/400GbE ports
- Consistent and low cut-through latency
- Flexible shared lookup table
- 64-way ECMP with adaptive routing
Network Virtualization with VXLAN overlays
- Single pass VXLAN routing and bridging without loopbacks
- 10X better tunnel scale (than the competition)
- 6X better Virtual Tunnel End Point scale
- VXLAN with RoCE Storage and Machine Learning workloads
Fully Shared Buffer
- Maximum resources for congested ports to support superior microburst absorption
- Monolithic buffer provides predictable performance and fair traffic distribution
- Intelligent congestion management and congestion spread avoidance for ROCE
- Detailed and contextual telemetry with What Just Happened (WJH) to answer the When, What, Who, Where and Why questions as soon as an issue happens.
- Hardware accelerated histograms track and summarize queue depths at a sub-microsecond granularity. Avoids false-alerts common to simple watermarks/thresholds
- Inband Network Telemetry*
Transmitting video over any fabric requires a very high degree of performance and accuracy. All Mellanox cables and transceivers are built to a very high standard to support and maintain our company mantra of high speed and low-latency. Passive copper Direct Attach Cables (DACs), Active Optical Cables (AOCs) and optical transceivers are all built with lowest-power, lowest-latency and lowest-cost in mind.
Cables and transceivers are available in SFP, QSFP and OSFP form factors for 25G NRZ and 50G PAM4 signaling. Tested to the industry’s lowest Bit Error Rate (BER) of 10e-15 means fewer transmission errors and retries compared to competing products. Features :
- BER less than 1E-15 compared to competition at 1E-12
- Lowest cost, latency and power
- Extensive product offerings up to 10km in:
- 10/40G with 10G signaling
- 25/50/100G with 25G signaling
- 50/100/200/400G with 50G PAM4 signaling
Ethernet Video Fabric Accelerates 4K and 8K Video, Replacing SDI
The adoption of 4K video and soon 8K video formats and the transition from Serial Digital Interface (SDI) to IP-based broadcasting drive the need for efficient, higher performance networking technologies that can stream more bits per second in real-time. This is why you should consider using Mellanox’s Ethernet Video Fabrics with the emerging Ethernet speeds of 25, 50, and 100GbE with advanced offload technologies that accelerate data communication for servers and storage in your new video data centers...READ BLOG
Enabling Tomorrow’s Media Infrastructure Today!
The adoption of 4K and soon 8K video formats and the transition from Serial Digital Interface (SDI) to IP-based broadcasting drive the need for efficient, higher performance networking technologies that can stream more bits per second in real-time. This is why you should consider using the emerging Ethernet speeds of 25, 50, and 100GbE with advanced offload technologies that accelerate data communication for servers and storage in your new media data centers...READ BLOG
Higher Quality Video Requires Ethernet Video Fabric
The adoption of 4K and soon 8K video formats and the transition from Serial Digital Interface (SDI) to IP-based broadcasting drive the need for efficient, higher performance networking technologies that can stream more bits per second in real-time. This is why you should consider using Mellanox’s Ethernet Video Fabric with emerging Ethernet speeds of 25, 50, and 100Gb/s and advanced offload technologies which accelerate data communication for servers and storage...READ BLOG
- TBAMD and Mellanox Enable Higher Performance & Efficiency for IP Video ProcessingDownload
- SBNVMe In the Studio: For 8K and BeyondDownload
- SBMove to 4K, The Right Way!Download
- SBEthernet Video Fabric Technical BriefDownload
- SBRDG: Red Hat Openstack Platform 13 with Rivermax and ASAP² for Media Streaming using SMPTE 2110.Download